Saturday, February 15, 2014

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." -Mark Twain

My teaching beliefs listed in my pervious blog were...

1. A teacher should do their best to incorporate their students interests into curriculum. 
2. All students CAN learn, teaching is about finding what works for each of your students.
3. Exploration is so important to the learning process.
4. Teachers should help students find a passion for learning. 
5. Students are individuals and should be treated as such. 

I think what I am getting at here is that learning is exploring. I find it hard to believe that anyone can learn just by solely sitting and absorbing information. In order to learn, you need to do. Do something... ANYTHING! Move, touch, share, question, think, interpret, experiment. I believe it is not about what you are learning, it is more about how you are learning. Experiences make learning meaningful. In ten years you will remember the process of learning what you learned more than the date you memorized for your history test. I could lecture you about the wonderful composed Ludwig van Beethoven but how about instead of putting up meaningless pictures of a man and playing snip-its of his music we create our own music based on the themes we are hearing in his?! That's the classroom I want to be in. One that lets me explore. That's the teacher I want to be. One that can provide moments for my students to create their own learning, make their own meaning, ask their own questions. 

So why shouldn't the physical classroom have this same feel? Shouldn't a classroom also reflect the beliefs of a teacher? If I want my students to explore and create their own learning experiences, it only makes sense that my physical classroom reflects that. 

Hmmm... my dream classroom. I cannot even begin to explain how many times my mind has wandered off to this perfect classroom filled with all the books of every genre, comfy couches and chairs for reading, technology from iPads to SMART boards to laptops, desks arranged in unique formations, kidney tables, and crayons and markers of every color! And the room... it will be colorful! But not overwhelming. Seasonal or thematic presentations created by myself and the work of my students will cover the walls. Along with my trusty anchor charts and other helpful posters we create. Yes, I have briefly considered my future classroom. ;) I can guarantee my other fellow future teachers have done the same. (Pinterest!) 

What I have begun to realize is that the classroom is not only a reflection of the teacher, it is also a reflection the teachers personal philosophies of teaching. With that in mind, I need to stop focusing on which color scheme I will use for the spring months of school and focus on what tools and resources I will have around the classroom that encourage exploration. I want my students to be able to ask questions and look around and find something to help them find their answer or further explore. I do not want my classroom to limit the learning my students are choosing to do. Yes, I do want my classroom to be attractive to an extent. But what I want more than that is for my classroom to be the personal lab for my students and myself. In this lab we will find answers, ask questions, create things and do so much more. This room should exciting! It should be empowering for the learner! 

As Mark Twain stated, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." I cannot let me students get away from my classroom with feeling like they had questions unanswered and thoughts not expressed. While they are young it is so important they can explore and find their passions. 

So here are my final thoughts on my physical classroom design. No, I do not know what it will actually look like. Realistically that will come down to budget, supplies, and school rules. But the design is all external, the items that fill the classroom are what will make this 'exploration classroom' come to life. I think what I want to do is study my students, the curriculum, and their interests and figure out what they will need to feel as if they are in control of their learning and ready to explore. I will not limit their minds to what I wrote in my curriculum. I will try my best and give them the physical tools and mental tools to explore. I can only hope THIS dream classroom will one day be a reality. 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked when you wrote that you don't want your classroom to limit student learning. From reading this, it's sparking my thoughts on how we can create classrooms that push students to explore and create rather than emphasize the rules and routines of the classroom or the direct information that we want them to absorb. How we accomplish this, I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete