Sunday, September 14, 2014

"Okay so, I'm really bad at math but I still like it a lot! Like really, I'm so bad at it but it's my favorite subject!"

I've noticed that many of my students have the BEST attitude when it comes to school. They are not quick to give up, my little resilient 2nd graders. 

It's refreshing to see how easy it is for them to ask questions and for them to keep trying something. Yes, often times they become very distracted and frustrated but that doesn't mean they are ready to fully give up on something. Usually after a little pep talk and a few things clarified they are right back at it! 

Often times when my CT asks a student a question about the book we are reading together a student will give an answer that makes no sense at all. What I've noticed is they deliver their response so clearly and confidently, even when the logic isn't there. As a teacher, I would much rather my student have the confidence to share what they are thinking, even if it's wrong, compared to a student who has mentally given up and chooses not to share because they are afraid of the consequences. 

Last week I worked with a student who consistently struggles in reading and writing. She hardly reads words out loud correctly and could use some help with her hand writing. In spite of what may seem like "huge academic problems"  this student is incredible when it comes to comprehension! I could read a chapter of a book to her out loud and she could remember ever detail. Last week she answered a question about the book that was read to the class and her answer was so detailed, it was clear she understood what was going on. After my science lesson I gave the class a worksheet with a somewhat complex question to gage their understanding of the first lesson. Many students who appear very bright academically had answers that only displayed that they were approaching the common core standard in terms of their learning. This particular student gave me an answer that displayed that her knowledge was beyond the common core standard. I was so thrilled to see this from her!

Yes, it was hard to read her answer but once I got past that... her answer displayed a true understanding of the topic. This was more than I could say for many of her peers. 

The point is, these students still haven't exactly been exposed to the part of school that knocks them down yet. In the primary grades (K-2) they are still trying to be figured out academically by parents, teachers, psychologists, social works, aids, academic coaches, etc. I feel like we often work so hard in these primary grades to figure the child out and to label them in some academic way. In the primary grades we just let them live that label until they prove otherwise (measured in academic success of course, which most of these students struggle hard with)

I don't know. I guess I just don't believe all of that. I don't have a better solution to this problem. I just find it so sad that many students have so much potential yet it all comes down to a standardized test which is essentially based on reading ability and time efficiency. I also know it is not realistic to have a teacher spend so much time helping individual students when there are plenty of students on track or above which also need just as much attention. 

In general, I just feel like too often we don't fully consider a students strengths and play to those to help them succeed. We find it much easier to explain their lack of success through an IEP and give them reasons they should be struggling. 

OKAY

I know some students need IEP's. I am not bashing the use of an IEP or saying it's just an excuse. 

I do fully believe we don't always try as hard as we can to help a student be the best they can be before getting to that step. Of course, IEP's exist for a reason and they are very beneficial and the key to success for many students. 

Sometimes I am just so bothered by how standardized school has become because I don't think it is always possible/ feasible to really help every student in the way they truly deserved to be helped... whether that means... 
-Helping advanced students continue to be challenged at a productive level 
or 
-Finding out why a student is behind and using their current strengths to help them build new skills in their more difficult subjects

I guess I have just been getting too caught up in how happy and positive my students have been about school! Their frustration is often a sign of them only being 7 years old! They are not exactly at a point where they can handle their emotions on their own very well which is so understandable for that age. 

I just wish that happy and positive outlook on school could continue through elementary school and beyond but we all know it doesn't. I know I won't be a superhero to turn that around for every student I come in contact with during my career. But I can say that I will give each student a little harder of a look before I write them off to someone else. As an educator, I believe that each student is my priority first and foremost. No matter what their academic situation is, I want to be apart of their progress throughout their time with me. 

In the words of one of my students, "Okay so, I'm really bad at math but I still like it a lot! Like really, I'm so bad at it but it's my favorite subject!" 
The fact that she loves a subject she is 'bad' at is simply incredible to hear. She probably feels this way because no one has made her feel like she 'can't do the math on her own' or that she 'isn't fast enough' or 'doing it the right way'. 

I hope she never ever feels any of those ways. Let her love the subject she hates

QUICK UPDATE:
Now that you made it through my rant... let me tell you what I've been teaching!

Last week I taught science all week (3 days a week). I now feel so comfortable in front of this class. It just seems natural to get up there and work my magic for 30-40 minutes. We have been learning about technology! Something all too relevant to these kids :P 
I'll be finishing up this unit in the next week and a half. Next, I will be writing my own original unit about outer space! Wahoo!

This week I will continue teaching science plus I will be teaching writing! This subject takes up the entire week! So I will be having a solid 5 day run at teaching 'what makes writing good'. Basically we will be exploring the basics of what makes a narrative. (From brainstorming to the final product) By the end of this week they will be working on a partner narrative and then eventually sharing their narratives within small groups! I'm excited to see what these creative minds come up with. 

And of course I will continue working with my small groups for reading and spelling every day. 

Onto week 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment