Sunday, August 31, 2014

"Promise you'll still eat lunch with me on Tuesday?"

All of my teacher education program classes highlighted the importance of building rapport with students. I have quickly realized how difficult it can be to build rapport while teaching and trying to maintain your status as the adult responsible for everything going on in the classroom. 

Let's just say this week was a little chaotic and my goal was simply to make it through the week and quickly catch onto my CT's teaching style, school procedures, and learn the names of my students. I honestly didn't put too much thought into really getting to know my students since I knew we had so many other things to get done in such short time. (Assessments, procedures, goal setting, etc.)  I guess I figured this was something that would develop over time. 

Monday and Tuesday were both in-service days. I spent a lot of time getting to know the school district and its goals for the year and helping my CT finish classroom set up. Wednesday was the first day of school, technically it was a half day. I was THRILLED to finally meet my 2nd grade students, all 19 of them! I followed my teacher around as she walked down the line outside the school and introduced herself to the students and their parents. After introducing herself she always turned around and introduced me! Most of the kids seemed confused and just smiled and said hi. The parents all looked happy and excited in my opinion and asked me about where I go to college, if I'm excited, how many students are in the class, etc. 

The following day my CT and I met the students outside again. As she went down the line to place name tags on the students she asked the students what her name was and what mine was. No one remembered my name...! I can't blame them. Honestly, my CT kept forgetting to save a few minutes to introduce me as the student teacher to the class. I think they are assuming I am just a helper who always seems to stick around. Next week I will finally get to have a conversation with the class about me being a student teacher and what that means. I'm hoping that will finally help my students understand my place in the classroom. 

To my surprise a sweet, sweet boy remembered my name. I was walking through the classroom helping students who raised their hands during my CT's lesson. Suddenly I heard, "Miss Brailov, can you come here?" YESSSSS! ONE STUDENT KNEW MY NAME! I don't think he realized how good this made me feel. I felt like he was noticing me as another teacher in his room. He felt like it was okay to come to me for help. This was awesome :)

Throughout the next two days, this student kept coming up to me to ask questions and just to chat. He was so sweet to me! During recess on Friday my CT had me take the students inside while she ran to the office. She left me in charge and this student said, "Yes! Miss Brailov is our teacher!" 

Let's just say... this student is probably my #1 fan :) let's hope I can win over the other 18!

He even made me a paper airplane to keep on my desk! He told me it was the first paper airplane he ever decorated for someone. Little does he know, I'll keep this forever and always remember my first student during student teaching who reached out to me. 

On Friday he asked me if I could come to lunch with him and "sit right next to him". Suddenly he reminded me of my little kindergarteners from Iowa City who eventually invited me to eat lunch with them. I felt so happy when they invited me to lunch because it made me feel like they actually liked me and wanted to just hang out with me. I was so happy my 2nd grader asked but I already had plans with my CT for lunch. I told him next week I could go with him, he seemed satisfied with my answer. Right before he left the classroom on Friday he even confirmed our lunch plans by saying, "Promise you'll still eat lunch with me on Tuesday?"    =D, how could I not go?! 

"Of course, I'll be there!"

Okay, okay. He wasn't the ONLY student talking to me last week. Many of them came up to me to ask questions. I have been continually making my way around the classroom trying to talk with every student that I can. That is one of the benefits of not teaching right now, I can just walk around and engage with everyone! 

These young boys loveeeee to 'misbehave' and look right at me for my reaction. I think they know I'm not going to just yell at them so they intentionally look at me when they are doing something they shouldn't be. I'll admit, it always gets my attention, which seems to be what they are looking for. As soon as I look at them they smile and stop what they are doing. Oh my 2nd grade boys! They also like to show me that they can jump as tall as I am. 
Wahoo... I'm short... I know... :) 

The girls are a little different. As soon as I sit down by them, they instantly become very chatty. I think they are actually trying to be funny for me! Every time I walk by they say something ridiculous like 'OH MY GOSH! My crayon box EXPLODED! HELP!' or "I only read books about things that are really, really cute or really gross. Can you find me a book on something icky?" Well, they always get me to laugh! I never notice them saying these things to my CT. Maybe they see me as the 'younger, less authoritative figure' in the room. I haven't exactly brought out my teacher voice or thrown down my teacher looks yet. 

Soon... very soon... ;) 

My 19 2nd graders are SO full of personality! I love it! The things they say, the thoughts they have, the way they interpret is so unique. I really would love to get to know all of my students as soon as possible! I at least want to win them all over before I start lead teaching! I feel like that will greatly work to my advantage when I am in charge of the classroom for 2 weeks. 

In reality, I am seeing the importance of building rapport with your students quickly. The students will not always remember what they learned in 2nd grade but hopefully they remember the student teacher who made them feel special and valued in some way. My goal is to finish this semester having made a genuine connection with each of my students. I want them to remember me and how much fun they had learning with me. They will want to learn with me if they like me. I want them to see me not only as a teacher but also as someone who really does care about them and always wants to help them be the best they can be. 

I can tell I've got 1... this week I need to get to work on the other 18. I have a feeling this won't be too difficult now that we will finally have a normal school week. I feel like this is like making new friends all over again! Except my friends are all 7 years old... whatever! I like it. 

Well, I've got a big week coming up! I will be teaching my first lesson! It will be a small group guided reading lesson. Language arts is something I have a lot of experience teaching. I am a little nervous since this is my first go around with my 2nd grade class but I'm sure I'll make it out alive! The text I am teaching is called The Big Bushy Mustache... yes... I'll just let you imagine what this might be about... I have a feeling it will be hilarious to 2nd graders! 

I am SO excited to begin week 2 of student teaching! Really, I cannot even put it in words how excited I am. Being back in a classroom with students feels so great. I love interacting with them and helping them learn. They all have so much potential and I cannot wait to see where the next few months takes all of us in learning. Being a student teacher feels so much different than being a practicum student. I am treated like a staff member by my CT, the students, and the whole faculty at my school. I feel like a real teacher for the first time! 

Suddenly, I feel excited to lead teacher and not scared of it. Maybe I was cut out for this whole teaching thing after all. :) 

Something I really need to figure out this week... how can I keep my energy levels up through out the whole day? Let's just say my teacher stamina isn't exactly there yet. Being in the classroom and working with students from 8:25-3:25 has been a huge adjustment for me! We also of course need to come early and stay late to plan for upcoming school days. These 2nd graders really know how to run me down! 

Onto week 2! I know the students are excited to come back to school... they are getting their own iPads this week! I remember when I got a floppy disk in my school supplies... oh how the world has changed! 

*Side note: Notice, I did start using student quotes as my blog titles! I love this addition!
Also if you want to leave me a comment about my blog post you will NOT be able to do it in the comment section because you most likely do not have a gmail account. If you would like to comment on my blog the best way to do it is to send me back an e-mail :) I love hearing what you all think about my blog posts. thank you!*

No comments:

Post a Comment